Treatment of Distance Running related issues
It’s no surprise to our distance runners whether it be track, trail or road running that they need to have the following four key things in order:
- The correct foot strike position based on their joint mobility and current running technique
- A foot which is aligned properly to allow for shock absorption and recoil within the arch
- A shoe that fits the foot properly to promote a more efficient foot strike and rebound
- Correct lower limb biomechanics to increase efficiency and decrease your risk of injury.
We help a number of athletes across all different styles of distance running with the above four areas to help make sure that either a forecasted injury or an existing injury is managed properly and thoroughly.
Common injuries seen:
Junior Distance Runners:
- Osgoods Schlatters - Growing pain in the knee
- Severs Disease - Growing pain in the heel
- Shin Splints - Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Patella Tendonopathy
- Extensor and Flexor tendon pain in the foot
- Stress fractures and hot spots within the foot
Senior Distance Runners:
Prevention and Treatment
If you are in pain now or simply want to look at ways to prevent injury there is never a better time than now to have your body, training loads and shoes looked at.
All assessments are 30 minutes and 45 minutes for those patients who have had chronic or resilient problems that have been untreatable so to speak over a long time.
Common Methodology behind Treatments
Our methodology at Melbourne Sports Podiatry is simple but deliberate. Although all treatments are tailored based on the individual the way we find out how to best work you and our other patients come from the following process:
- Assess specific movement patterns based on the sport
- Assess structures between the lower back and feet
- Identify where the problem is stemming from
- Identify limitations or energy leaks
- Treat on the day and plan ahead.
Common Treatments we use on the first appointment include
- Sports specific strapping and padding
- Footwear assessment
- Soft or Deep Tissue release
- Lower limb Dry Needling
- Balance and Strength Programming
- Running Analysis and Re-training
- PNF stretching and Joint Mobilisation
- In shoe wedging and modifications
Other Treatments we use include:
- Sports specific customised orthotics
- Joint adjustments
- Advanced Foot and Ankle rehabilitation