Treatment of Skiing and Snowboarding Podiatry related issues
Both Skiing and Snowboarding require a proper boot fitting done by a professional store. However, where people tend to get the upsell in these stores are for insoles and orthotics.
For our skiers and snowboarders who endeavour to ride in comfort and already have a conscious awareness that they have flat or high arched feet, an orthotic designed by Melbourne Sports Podiatry may be a smarter option for you. Also if you’ve had a previous injury or are at risk of injury we have the qualifications to make suitable recommendations to your footwear and or orthotics to help reduce the risk of that occurring.
Our sports specific ski and snowboarding orthotics are designed to incorporate one or more of the following key features:
1) “pillow-like” cushioning using medical grade memory foam,
2) easy wear technology using a strong and super lightweight carbon fibre material
3) soft contour using a complete EVA foam based orthotic
If you’re eligible for private health insurance, a fully customised orthotic from Melbourne Sports Podiatry may also be a more cost-effective way to completely customise the fit and feel of your feet into your skis and snowboarding boots.
Common injuries seen in our Ski and Snowboarders
Prevention and Treatment
If you are in pain now or simply want to look at ways to prevent injury there is never a better time than now to have your boots, foot alignment and joint mobility looked at.
All assessments are 30 minutes and 45 minutes for those patients who have had chronic or resilient problems that have been untreatable so to speak over a long time.
Common Methodology behind Treatments
Our methodology at Melbourne Sports Podiatry is simple but deliberate. Although all treatments are tailored based on the individual the way we find out how to best work you and our other patients come from the following process:
- Assess specific movement patterns based on the sport
- Assess structures between the lower back and feet
- Identify where the problem is stemming from
- Identify limitations or energy leaks
- Treat on the day and plan ahead.
Common Treatments we use on the first appointment include
- Sports specific strapping and padding
- Footwear assessment
- Soft or Deep Tissue release
- Lower limb Dry Needling
- Balance and Strength Programming
- PNF stretching and Joint Mobilisation
- In shoe wedging and modifications
Other Treatments we use include:
- Sports specific customised orthotics
- Joint adjustments
- Advanced Foot and Ankle rehabilitation