Treatment of AFL Podiatry related issues
Whether you’re a back, midfielder or forward, in today’s day and age everyone is required to run and carry the ball. As a result, the demand and load on the lower limbs have dramatically increased with players at both a junior and senior level been seen to run regularly anywhere between 10-20km a game.
On top of this for our junior athletes who are growing and endeavouring to impress, they may be training at match intensity during the week due to school commitments and sometimes representative sport commitments.
Common injuries seen:
Junior and Adolescent AFL Players:
- Osgoods Schlatters - Growing pain in the knee
- Sinding Larsen Johansson Syndrome - Growing pain in the knee
- Severs disease - Growing pain in the heel
- Shin Splints - Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Ankle Sprain and Fractures
- Jumpers Knee - Patella Tendonopathy
Senior AFL Players:
Prevention and Treatment
If you are in pain now or simply want to look at ways to prevent injury there is never a better time than now to have your body, training loads and football boots assessed.
All assessments are 30 minutes or 45 minutes for those patients who have had a chronic or resilient problem that until now has been “untreatable” so to speak.
Common Methodology behind Treatments
Our methodology at Melbourne Sports Podiatry is simplified below. Although all of our treatments are tailored based on the individual, the way in which we find out how to best work with your concern starts with the following process:
- Assess specific movement patterns based on the sport
- Assess structures between the lower back and feet
- Identify where the problem is stemming from
- Identify limitations or energy leaks
- Treat on the day and Plan ahead.
Common Treatments we use on the first appointment include
- Sports specific strapping and padding
- Footwear assessment
- Soft or Deep Tissue release
- Lower limb Dry Needling
- Balance and Strength Programming
- Running Analysis and Re-training
- PNF stretching and Joint Mobilisation
- In shoe wedging and modifications
Other Treatments we use include:
- Sports specific customised orthotics
- Kids only orthotics
- Joint adjustments
- Advanced Foot and Ankle rehabilitation