Treatment of Basketball and Netball Podiatry related issues
With an increase in popularity over the last 5 years, Melbourne Sports Podiatry have been seeing more and more girls and boys on basketball and netball courts. As a result, it’s become increasingly evident for many of our players at both the recreational and the very elite level that the alignment of the foot and ankle is vital for injury prevention, push off speed and power production for their jump.
On top of this for our junior athletes who are growing and endeavouring to impress, the alignment of the foot and ankle is vital to help sustain training efficiencies as they begin to do more representative level training alongside their school commitments and sometimes additional sporting commitments.
Common injuries seen:
Junior and Adolescent Basketball and Netball Players:
- Osgoods Schlatters - Growing pain in the knee
- Sinding Larsen Johansson Syndrome - Growing pain in the knee
- Severs disease - Growing pain in the heel
- Shin Splints - Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Ankle Sprain and Fractures
- Jumpers Knee - Patella Tendonopathy
Senior Basketball and Netball Players:
Prevention and Treatment
If you are in pain now or simply want to look at ways to prevent injury there is never a better time than now to have your body, training loads and court shoes looked at.
All assessments are 30 minutes and 45 minutes for those patients who have had chronic or resilient problems that have been untreatable so to speak over a long time.
Common Methodology behind Treatments
Our methodology at Melbourne Sports Podiatry is simple but deliberate. Although all treatments are tailored based on the individual the way we find out how to best work you and our other patients come from the following process:
- Assess specific movement patterns based on the sport
- Assess structures between the lower back and feet
- Identify where the problem is stemming from
- Identify limitations or energy leaks
- Treat on the day and Plan ahead.
Common Treatments we use on the first appointment include
- Sports specific strapping and padding
- Footwear assessment
- Soft or Deep Tissue release
- Lower limb Dry Needling
- Balance and Strength Programming
- Running Analysis and Re-training
- PNF stretching and Joint Mobilisation
- In shoe wedging and modifications
Other Treatments we use include:
- Sports specific customised orthotics
- Kids only orthotics
- Joint adjustments
- Advanced Foot and Ankle rehabilitation